Tommy Hilfiger Men's Four-Pocket Performance Bomber Jacket$89.99
- Love the look, it's the best four pocket bomber style jacket I've found. It's a very specific look, and they nailed it.
- Style is also quite versatile, can be worn with casual or business clothing.
- It's very comfortable. The filled version is warm enough for freezing weather, unfilled great for fall.
- Fit is excellent for tall people, sleeves are good length.
- Seems to be a very durable/high quality garment.
- At full retail price, it's a very expensive jacket.
- Availability of certain colors and variants
- For some reason, you can't buy the unfilled version in big and tall sizes. Not a huge deal though, because XL and XL-T seem pretty similar in my experience.
About 10 years ago, I had a jacket that I absolutely loved that has long since been discontinued. It was a four pocket, medium thickness, vaguely bomber/military style jacket that was mostly a polyester outer shell with some cotton styling around the collar, sleeves, and bottom. Somewhat recently, I went on a quest to find something comparable. I tried quite a few jackets, and eventually found the perfect replacement – Tommy Hilfiger’s Performance Bomber Jacket. It’s actually such a good match, I bought both the filled (thicker coat style) and unfilled (wind breaker jacket style) versions.
As I described above, it has a polyester water repelling outer shell, with some rib knit styling in the collar, bottom rim, and sleeves. Exactly the style I was searching for! It’s got the advertised four pockets outside, with an inside pocket as a bonus. The filled version is very warm, great to use in freezing temperatures. The unfilled version is a fantastic fall and most-of-winter jacket (in Texas anyway), and works great with casual and business clothes.
The fit is also just perfect. For context, I’m about 6’3″ 215 lbs with long limbs, sort of a lanky/rangy, not-fat-but-not-exactly-thin build. I ordered an XL in the unfilled, which is exactly the right fit. My normal concern with jackets is that they are too short, and the sleeves tend to slide up my wrists. That hasn’t been an issue at all with the unfilled XL. The filled version was the only one available in XL Tall for some reason, so I went that route for the thicker one. XL-T actually didn’t seem to fit much differently. It’s thicker of course, since it’s the filled version, but the sleeves are only slightly longer. Since the fit was already perfect, it’s not bad that they’re so similar.
I’m really hard pressed to find a negative with these jackets. I guess they are sort of expensive, and the price fluctuates significantly. The regular price is $225, but it slides down into the $100s most of the time on Amazon and Macy’s sites, and you can actually catch it for $70-80. I’d recommend setting a price watch on camelcamelcamel (Amazon price history site) and catching it on a price dip. The price may be generally high, but the value is strong in my opinion, because I’ve gotten a lot of use out of both jackets and they seem durable. I’ve read that the hood concealed in the collar is hard to get back in, but I’ve never taken it out (I layer with a hoodie when needed).
Overall, I’d have to say these are now my favorite jackets. And they definitely serve as excellent replacements for that long-long four pocket jacket I had.
From what I’ve seen, it’s available through a few different retailers, like Amazon, Macy’s, directly from Tommy Hilfiger, and some others. The lowest prices seem to be Amazon and Macy’s.
- Poly twill four pocket performance mid-weight rib knit zip front bomber jacket with utility collar and hidden hood. Contrast quilted lining with light poly fill insulation.
- 100% Polyester
- Zipper closure
- Machine Wash
- FUNCTIONALITY: Center front zipper closure; Two upper snap flap pockets with additional zipper pockets above; two lower snap welt pockets; Interior zipper chest pocket for added storage
- STYLISH FEATURES: Rib knit cuffs and rib knit hem for comfortability to aid in blocking out wind; stand up collar; quilted interior
- TEXTILE TECHNOLOGY: 100% Polyester outer shell fabric allows the jacket to be water and wind resistant protecting against varying weather conditions
- Department : Mens
- Date First Available : March 4, 2020
- Manufacturer : Tommy Hilfiger
- ASIN : B085G222RC