Cooler Shock Reusable Ice Pack$27.95
- Does an excellent job of keeping food/drinks cold. Easily lasts from when I leave the house until lunch time.
- The size and shape of the ice pack provides good coverage in a lunch bag
- Major quality control issues. By the three month mark, only two of five packs have survived. The rest leaked too much.
- The two that are still usable "sweat" as they thaw to a significant degree
- Value is poor, since they were fairly expensive compared to other options and didn't last long
I have been taking my lunch to work for quite some time now, but bizarrely, for much of that time I hadn’t been using anything to keep things cool. Basically, I was carrying what became room temperature food and drink in a generic laptop bag. I finally purchased an insulated lunch bag, but along with that, I had to figure out a reusable cold pack. My first purchase was this product by Cooler Shock. As usual, I was heavily influenced by product reviews, which seemed good for this item. As you might guess though, since saying “first purchase” implies there was a subsequent one, I was not completely satisfied.
The Cooler Shock uses water and some chemical substance that mixes with water that you add yourself. I’ll start with the good; these things definitely keep food and drinks cool. After 5-6 hours, the cold pack is pretty much melted, but my bottle of water and soda are quite cold. So, it does the job of keeping things cold well. Another positive is the size and shape of the ice packs; they fit perfectly in my lunch bag and provide good coverage of items.
It’s got some issues though that make it difficult for me to recommend. The first is that, even though I have tightened the caps to their absolutely maximum, many of the ice packs are leaky. In fact, three months after my initial purpose, only two of the five I purchased have survived. The three discarded packs eventually started leaking so much that I would find standing water in my lunch bag. The two remaining unfortunately also output enough water (I believe via sweating as they melt) that I have to place a paper towel at the bottom of my bag. That’s obviously not great. But what makes it worse is that the Cooler Shock brand packs are not exactly inexpensive. Of the highly reviewed cooler packs I found, this was definitely one of the most expensive. So, for more than half of them to become unusable is really a poor value.
|Style||5 lunch bag|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||6.5 x 7.5 x 1 inches|
|Item Weight||0.5 Kilograms|
About this item
- Lasting Cold: Our durable ice pack for both coolers and lunch boxes are colder than ice at 18° F (-8° C) to keep your favorite sandwiches & soft drinks cold for up to 48 hrs
- Easy: Filling this 8-mil thick ice-cold pack is easy freezy! Add water once using the funnel, shake, screw cap on, & freeze until ready to use
- Strong: Voted #1 in the 2017-18 Wiki EzVid Ice Pack competition, these cooler and lunch box ice packs are nylon-reinforced for freezer-to-lunch bag trips
- Reusable: Replace pounds of ice & get our long-lasting lunch ice pack – without the totally-not-cool melted messes
- Relief: These ice packs for coolers help soothe pain from injury or for post-surgery recovery; Note: Wrap and avoid direct skin contact
- Lunch size ice pack — 6.5 x 7.5 inches
- Shipped with dry gel mixture — add water and seal at home
- Screw cap closure with cork and included funnel
- Each pack requires 12 ounces of water (1.5 cups)
Colder, Faster, Longer
Cooler Shock Premium Ice Packs (Medium)
An ice alternative that far outperforms ice, Cooler Shock reusable ice packs are designed to provide extended cooling at 18 degrees F that can last up to 48 hours.
Great for camping, picnics, boating, fishing, tailgating, and any perishable transport (both personal and commercial), Cooler Shock ice packs turn warm drinks ice cold in the cooler and your sandwiches won’t turn soggy from melting ice. Just return Cooler Shock to your freezer and they’ll be ready for the next outing.
DIY Reusable Bags — Just Add Water Once
Cooler Shock ice packs are shipped dry with a proprietary cooling gel mixture inside that turns into a solid block when frozen. Just add water at home, shake, and seal to create reusable ice packs that can be used over and over.
Choose from two closure types:
- Screw cap (with cork and included funnel for filling).
- Zipper version that’s sealed permanently shut with an iron.
Thin, Durable Construction
Cooler Shock’s flexible, multi-layer bags are made with aluminum and polyethylene to keep the contents secure and reinforced with thin nylon to help strengthen the pack.
Measuring about one-fifth the thickness of rigid ice packs, Cooler Shock’s thin walls (8 mils, or about 0.2 mm) both freeze more quickly and transfer chill in a cooler more effectively.